Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Big Scale T-55

I've always wanted a big 1/16 RC Tamiya tank kit, but never really could afford one since they're all close to $1k even without a radio... or didn't want to spend that much on a "toy" anyway.  Plus, with the lower priced Heng Long tanks as an alternative, I figured i'd be ok with that.

A couple years ago, a Chinese company called Hooben released a kit for a 1/16 RC Russian T55 tank.  It's a "modern" tank, which is more rare in the RC world since WWII tanks seem to be preferred by the manufacturers.  I've always loved the design of the T55, a tank that was the most produced tank of all time, is still in service in many countries around the world.  Needless to say I wanted one, but because of the price, I didn't think much of it... until recently, when someone on one of the RC tank forums brought it up again.. next thing you know, my brain is failing me and i'm spending some major cash to get one.  Not as much as a Tamiya kit, but probably still more than I should have.. oh well, you only live once eh?

So I'm not going to start building it for a while.  I still have my Panzer to finish (there has been progress, just not enough for a new post), and I want to finish the other projects i've started, but I did take it out and look at it.  Here are a couple pics of it with my 1/35 T55 that I built a few years ago for scale reference.  It's going to be so cool!

-laters
bhop






1 comment:

adam said...

thanks for sharing this information about your rc tank. it is such a nice feeling to have one.i have a 1/30th Sherman M4A3 radiostyrd stridsvagn. The real M4 Sherman tank was the primary tank used by the United States during World War II and it was also distributed to the Allies. In the United Kingdom the M4 was given the name Sherman after Union General William Tecumseh Sherman. and subsequently the British name found its way into common use in the US. it is such a nice one.